Friday, March 28, 2008

Racism in England

Today, my boyfriend was (once again) victim of a racism attack. He is Indian and the kindest hearted person I have ever met. We are planning to get engaged really soon and I feel really lucky to have him by my side. I just don’t understand what is going on with people here in Hatfield, and I want to believe that this only happens in here, due to the clash of a decrepit society with the local students.

This morning I left for my job in Stevenage and I requested my boyfriend to make a copy of a key that I needed.

He entered on one local shop, and asked how much it would cost to make a simple key. The person behind the counter said that it would be £3 something. My boyfriend was intrigued, since one of his friends paid much less for a same kind of key. Because he thought he was being deceived, he mentioned the fact – politely! And God knows how my boyfriend is, he is a non-violent person, really nice heart, the best! And it is not because he is my boyfriend…Anyway, confronted with the fact that he was probably charging more than he should, the person that works in that shoe-fixing-key-making place started shouting at my boyfriend, telling him that if he wasn’t happy he could always go to Welwyn Garden City and that actually he was not going to serve him anymore, adding to a “great finale” a most outrageous “Fu** Off”.

My boyfriend was literally kicked out of the store.This afternoon, after I came back from work, we passed in front of that local shop mainly because I decided that I wanted to name and shame that bast***. I took a good look at the guy who discriminated my boyfriend, he saw us and I made sure he saw us good, because I was watching him as well.

And this was not the first time he had problems… He was once attacked. One other day, we were walking from his place to mine when these guys in a black car approached and threw an egg at him. Luckily it only broke on the floor, so it didn’t stain any clothes… But I was with him, and that attack had terrible effects on me. I lost all the respect for the English society… After all, the so-called hooligans are hooligans everywhere, anywhere…


(crazyveggie.wordpress.com/2007/01/09/racism-in-england-again)